Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ophellia
level 2
level 2
Ophellia

reading random - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 am

Still..I'm very envious of you guys!!! I dont mind reading at all, but it's writing that nagg me. That's why I dont major in social sciences eventhough I love reading. My school work is killing me now. I spend almost half of my day everyday in the lab, and when I'm not in the lab, all I do is calculations. scratch

Wow jeryn 18th century spanish drama?? Its Sounds to me like a spanish shakespearan play with lost of metaphors, although it's a couple of century later. The only spanish book I have read is "Don Quixote" when I took spanish back in highschool.

Have you guys read "Tales of Gengi" ?? I'm thinking of reading it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 am

@ Ophellia...... well the Spanish drama is nothing like Shakespeare..... the language is easier - if you understand Spanish very good. But I had to look up soooo many words...
It doesn't have all the metaphors and stuff...

You've read Don Quijote?? Then you've read more than I have diz ...... I still need to read it for my studies, but the book is soooooooooo thick

and I don't know "Tales of Gengi", but just from the name it sounds interesting Wink

....... I have to leave for university in half an hour...... tired I'd rather stay in bed..... too much "tinto de verano" yesterday XDDD"

Ophellia
level 2
level 2
Ophellia

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:27 am

About "Don quixote", the whole class read together every 15mins of the class for the whole year in my spanish class. We moved soo slowly, and sometimes we couldn't understand the story. But our teacher helped us out and explained everything. That's how I happened to read the whole book. hehehhe

I dont know much about "Tale of gengi" either, but my japanese teacher told us that it's one of the first written japanese literature, and it's written by a woman called Lady Murasaki. The original version, is in Hiragana entirely. It's about the love stories of this playboy "gengi" and how he gets involvedwith different women. I'm thinking of reading it to practice my hiragana. So, even if I dont understand what it means, I would be able to pronounce it right?

btw..have you guys heard of this korean manhwa called "Princess"?? It's freaking amazing. I'm very obssessed with it now. The art work is gorgeous, and the storyline is awesome!!! It's over 28 volumes and still on going. These are gorgeous some pictures!! check it out http://www.goddesspreia.net/galeria.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 12:40 am

.... right now I'm experiencing one of these phases again where I can't find the motivation to read....... sad
strangely ..last week I was really swallowing a book so eagerly, I read 300 pages in two days, inbetween my university courses. And since then I haven't read anything..... not even the 80 small pages of another Spanish drama - which is a really fast reading..... but, I think I put all my motivation in that book last week. T______________T

Think I have to get over it with another Hemingway ^^

@ Ophellia: the manhwa looks quite good - not my favorite style of manga artwork, but it reminds me of that anime (think it was anime and not cartoon series) Lady Oscar - it looks so familiar
and the story sounds interesting.
Are you reading it in English?

steffibj
L'Arc~o~Zilla
L'Arc~o~Zilla
steffibj

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:10 pm

i guess i cannot be cured ^^*

i just finished three books of christopher marzi who is a german author. i never thought that german authors can write such great stuff. christopher marzi has the ability to write something which is pure happiness and sadness at the same time. he uses a lot of stuff in his books. mostly legends of angels, fallen ones, vampires, gods and so on but he puts these things in another light. i dunno but his kind of writing is refreshing. because also the fantasy section suffered a lot of wannabe authors. TT___TT
dont get me wrong lord of the rings wasnt bad (but dont like it so much, not one of my favorite movies and books) but i dont like it when 100 authors are trying to write the history of the elves ^^* and the worst of all: when they are trying to copy tolkin's style TT___TT

and for the first phrase i bought a lot of books/manga today. tocchan couldnt avoid it... not that he even tried it ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ophellia
level 2
level 2
Ophellia

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 5:33 am

jeryn wrote:

@ Ophellia: the manhwa looks quite good - not my favorite style of manga artwork, but it reminds me of that anime (think it was anime and not cartoon series) Lady Oscar - it looks so familiar
and the story sounds interesting.
Are you reading it in English?

Sorry Jeryn. I couldn't get back to you earlier. Yeah. I'm reading it in english. This site "www.janimes.com" is doing english translation of all volumes. You have to make an account to read the scanlations though, but it's free. That manga is really something to check out. It might seems like a typical prince falls for a commoner girl type thing at first, but there's a lot of politics, and depths to the story. I really like the character developement of that story. It's a worth read Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 pm

hey Ophellia, no problem ^.~
the site you gave me looks really good... so much to read.... I just had a chance to take a glimpse today.
and I know if I make an account I won't get to read my books for uni.... right now I have to read two Spanish books of 250 pages each (one till Monday, the other one till Wednesday reading random - Page 3 236826 ). I hope that they are at least a little bit interesting.

@ steffi.... I'm envious!!! I want to buy some books or mangas too..... >.<
I miss the feeling of having a new book in my hands....... it's like an addiction Razz

steffibj
L'Arc~o~Zilla
L'Arc~o~Zilla
steffibj

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 9:30 pm

yeah new books are so great... i also love the smell XD

right now im working on making my book mounatin a bit smaller...
but i think this will not work out well until i visit a book store again T___T
im buying more books than i can read but, well, someday i will read each and every book i bought XD *im full of hope*

i also have to rescue my manga from my boyfriend because he wants to move with some of my manga T___T lacking of place T___T
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 4:44 pm

um.... seems we ended up talking to each other steffi.... but anyway XD

book mountains tend to grow.... and you can't stop them....... reading random - Page 3 203125

I finished reading another Spanish drama today, and it was ok, but the end was just toooooo unbelievable.
Don't know if you guys know the concept of deus ex machina... but the story was resolved on the last 2 pages by the apparition of a spirit... I mean come on!!!! there would have been so much potential for a real drama, but no.......

and now I'm going to read a book by an African author: "The joys of motherhood"......
reading random - Page 3 202471 ...no ...... it's not about what the title says XDD

I still have to read two novels and two dramas for next week, for an exam, and I don't think I'll manage it, and therefore I'm going to search for some summaries Laughing
hope I find them...

lazy student.... diz

steffibj
L'Arc~o~Zilla
L'Arc~o~Zilla
steffibj

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 11:47 am

book mountain gets bigger and bigger at least through xmas XD

I'm reading a lot of books at the same time ... AGAIN! I dunno about the english name of the books since most of the books im currently reading are from german authors like markus heitz (Kinder des Judas -->novel about vampires) and wolfgang hohlbein (Hexer novels).

i would have never expected that i would start reading hohlbein again since im not such a fan of his writing style. he is really successful in putting a story which is actually 200 pages long on 500 pages... but i simply loved his Hexer series years ago. ( i lent and read them 5 years ago)

im working on reading a bit more instead of sitting in front of my pc and working on subbed files.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 3:05 pm

yeah....... read more!!!!...... reading is fun.............
serious irony intended
I just started reading a book for class - or better, a book I should read for an exam next week.... and it is sooooo absolutely boring..... I've read 40 pages so far... and nothing, really nothing happened..... just explanation of the main characters........ Rolling Eyes

oooohhh, how I hate realistic/ naturalistic spanish novels.................... reading random - Page 3 203125
but the good thing is.... one book less of my mountain XDDD"
still at least 4 to go.... here......

Ophellia
level 2
level 2
Ophellia

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:53 am

wow!!! you guys having an exam???? My Uni is having winter breaks. Good luck!!!

I'm reading "The Dante club". I think it's historical murder mystery. Very interesting. I just started today, so I dont know if it's good yet.

Have you guys read "The thirteenth tale"??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 6:25 pm

aaahhh.... I have time to read again, for myself....
just now I'm reading Kafka on the Shore, and it's great ^O^

@ Ophelia: yep I had exams at that time... winter break usually starts end of January, beginning of February, and lasts till April (in Germany ^^)
and no, I don't know "The thirteenth tale". What is it about, from the title it sounds interesting.
and how was "The Dante club"? you should've finished it by now, ne~

my book mountain is huuuuuuuge... just rearranged some things in my bookshelf, and realized how many books I still haven't read... T_____T
about 30 or even more........... diz
not counting in all the books for uni I still haven't bought, but need to read in the next months.... (for my final exams >___<)

Ophellia
level 2
level 2
Ophellia

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 5:57 am

Sorry to not not get back to you earlier Jeryn. I actually I lost intrest in "The Dante Club" through 1/3 of the book, still haven't finished it yet. Oneday I'll try to finish it though.

here is the info on The Thirteenth Tale. It's the best seller now.
http://mysterycrimefiction.suite101.com/article.cfm/book_review__the_thirteenth_tale

And Damn...so you have to read sooo much. Do you mind if I ask you what you are studying?? something to do with spanish literature?

I'm reading the book called "The blood of Flowers". It's set in 17th century Iran, and about women's lives and carpet making.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 10:52 pm

ah Ophellia, you lost interest XD
I got one of those books as well, started rather interesting, and then I totally lost interest in it, the story just didn't take on... >_>
well, trying to read it again, I hope you're able to do it ^^b (I wasn't, don't even know where this book is, and just know that it was by Stephen King XD")

yep, I'm studying literature. English and American lit, and well Spanish lit as well - have to read so much for the Engl/Amer one.

I just read a book in like 3 or 4 days (450 pages), I just couldn't put it away. It wasn't even that exciting, but somehow funny and sweet and different and... well, it's called "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer, and is actually a teenage-love-vampire-story, and the first part of a 4-part-series (the forth will be released this year). I'm thinkin' of buying the second part, but there are still so many other books to read XDDD"

and the review about the thirteenth tale sounds so tempting reading random - Page 3 202471

Ophellia
level 2
level 2
Ophellia

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:10 am

Razz What a coincidence Jeryn, I was gonna read "TWILIGHT" after I finish with "The blood of Flowers"!! I heard a raving review from a friend of mine about this serie. As a sucker as I'm to Vampires, I have to check it out XD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 am

hey that's one nice coincidence XD
hope you like the book!!!!
just one thing, the vampires in there are not so typical ^.~
but the story is great (at least it was for me ^^b)

Gorkij
level 1
level 1
Gorkij

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 8:20 pm

I always hear just good feedback of the "Twilight" series
Maybe I should give them one day a try...
Unfortunately, at the moment I hardly find time to read
So I have to add it to a growing long list of books I would like to read one day...
At the moment I read the "Watch" series by Sergej Lukianenko.
IMO is a great series and I love the style of the author...Some months ^^' ago I started with "The Twilight Watch" however, I'm yet not really far >.<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steffibj
L'Arc~o~Zilla
L'Arc~o~Zilla
steffibj

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 8:50 pm

i love Sergej Lukianenko books. he is a very good writer and i enjoy his books very much. i would love if they could do good movies out of his books but they simply.... are stupid. have you seen the movies of the series you mentioned. such great books and such a stupid movie T__T after movie one was so horrible i thought it couldnt get worse. but as morgana has said and actually warned it was much more horrible. part 2 lacked much more story than part 1. it really remembers on a best of as on a movie. a lot of snippets but no story line at all. i guess the second part was the first movie i stopped watching because of boredom.

im finally at the amber spyglas V^^V after numerous months im at book three of his dark materials

reading random - Page 3 44808
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gorkij
level 1
level 1
Gorkij

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 10:55 pm

I also really enjoy the books...if I just would have had more time to read. The Night watch I nearly read within 2 weeks...and now ~.~

I just saw the first film...and I agree, I don't really liked it...however there were parts I liked very much how they put them into live...especially to visualise this enormous black vortex with black ravens (or is it just because I love crows and ravens that much ^^') And there are other details I liked...but in general I agree with you, the books are far better! Maybe should go now and read a bit xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steffibj
L'Arc~o~Zilla
L'Arc~o~Zilla
steffibj

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm

yeah, it has its moments but i didnt like the way how the whole thing was put up. especially anton being the father of the boy ^^* i was going crazy about this. it was so absolutely pointless and far-fetched Xd

i have to think about how to force my boyfriend in the eye...

and how to avoid some of my friends about me going into sex in the city movie with them. i really dont want to go reading random - Page 3 290400
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anneliese
level 2
level 2
anneliese

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 8:26 pm

steffibj wrote:

i have to think about how to force my boyfriend in the eye...

If you find the way, please don't hesitate to tell me what you did reading random - Page 3 354265

I haven't read the book you're talking about reading random - Page 3 768785 but it sounds very interesting.... so I might check it after the session of exams (oh, no, just 4 days left!!)

Have you read "In the miso soup"? I've just received it from a friend and it seems pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gorkij
level 1
level 1
Gorkij

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:14 pm

@ Steffi To be honest I quite like the idea that his son, he planned to 'kill', in the end is the 'source for a lot of trouble' I really have to read the books further...

@ anneliese 3 days to go...I'm in the same pain as you...don't really want to sit my exams...but have no choice Mad
Wish you good luck <3 I'll think of you being in the same situation as me when I'll sit in front mine...

Unfortunately I don't know "In the miso soup" but the title sounds funny Very Happy
What's the book about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anneliese
level 2
level 2
anneliese

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 10:59 am

Gorkij wrote:

@ anneliese 3 days to go...I'm in the same pain as you...don't really want to sit my exams...but have no choice Mad
Wish you good luck <3 I'll think of you being in the same situation as me when I'll sit in front mine...

Unfortunately I don't know "In the miso soup" but the title sounds funny Very Happy
What's the book about?

So sorry for replying late baka I didn't use the internet much during the session of exams because that would have distracted me from learning (as if i learned too much Embarassed )
Thank you for wishing me good luck!!
How was your session of exams? Hope you did great v

About the book, I've just started reading it and it's not funny at all (I thought the same as you did in the first place)

It's about modern Japan with all its decadences, sex life, philosophy, drama, thriller... a 20 year old Japanese man works as a guide for tourists, but he's a "sex guide", which means that he is hired only by people who want to experiment the night life in Tokyo.
He meets an American tourist and this is the way the thriller starts... I don't know to tell you more at the moment.
Anyway, the book is considered "an acid portrait of nowadays Japan and one of the best thrillers from The Silence of the Lambs to present"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 5:17 pm

@ anneliese: The "In the Miso Soup" book sounds interesting, really. I love thrillers... just bought myself one - which was down in price, so I couldn't restrain XD
Maybe when you're further down in the book, you can tell me if it's really interesting or not.

You guys all finished your exams... I still have one to go. A translation exam >____<

I started reading a book called "The right attitude to rain". The title is quite funny, because it plays in Scotland Laughing
At first I thought it was boring... althoung the first paragraph sounded so gooood. But now the more I read, the better it gets. A little love story is developing, and the main character is a philosopher. So she's doing something similar to me (XDD)... and it's interesting to read.
What's also quite nice is that the author is a man... portraying a woman. I always like seeing how they do it ^^b

steffibj wrote:
and how to avoid some of my friends about me going into sex in the city movie with them. i really dont want to go
This one was great, believe me ^.~
A little diferent from the series, so I think you would've liked it.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

reading random
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
team's forum :: RANDOM :: TALKS-
Jump to: