Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
steffibj
L'Arc~o~Zilla
L'Arc~o~Zilla
steffibj

reading random - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 9:07 pm

after i finished one book i bought 4 new ones T___T

i guess i will never make my book mountain vanish T___T
i could clean up my place and put my book mountain under my bed but i guess it wouldnt help. life can be mean ^^*

right now im reading frankstein. i dunno, after i was buying a manga called mary goodwin i wnated to read frankenstein. lucky me, my boyfriend had it ^^ i took it and now he is sad because there is a whole in his order ^^*
maybe i should tell him to put his frog there. i guess i will read dracula after frankenstein because it is in the same book and i always wanted to read this one. i can tell you... as far as im concerned i love the book frankenstein. it is a masterpiece especially when you think on when it was published. it is amazing to read. and a lot better than any movie i have seen. actually im not that much of a fan of book and then movie things. usually, i like the book more than the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 am

steffibj wrote:
i could clean up my place and put my book mountain under my bed but i guess it wouldnt help. life can be mean ^^*
If you do that... than you only leave free space for a new book mountain............

I just wanted to write shortly about the book I'm reading now... and a "strange" and "disturbing" experience that was narrated in it.
It's called "Animals" and is by Keith Ridgway.
Anyway... the narrator was in the bathroom, washing her face, and then taking a towel from the side, drying the face... and then when she looked in the mirror again she saw something black on one cheek, and in her mouth... a leg.... it was a spider - she had smeared her face with a big black spider reading random - Page 4 61742 ..... that was sitting on the towel..........
And the way that was described, in all it's tiny details. I will never again look at towels the same way. >________<

(And btw, the whole story started with the discovery of a dead mouse... and like 15 pages thoughts about it.......)

Gorkij
level 1
level 1
Gorkij

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 7:28 pm

@ anneliese

I'm not better at all baka but I just wasn't around the last months ^^'

I think the exams where okay...still have no results so don't know how I was doing ~.~

I'm not that much into thrillers but it sounds quite interessting...maybe should give it a try one day....

@ steffibj

I stopped buying books because of book mountain is growing and growing, however doesn't really help as therefore now the list in my head what book I should read in future is growing further diz

@ jeryn

sounds scary - who knows what still awaits you in this book scare

~~~~

Some weeks ago I bought again a book, still not started to read it... it's called "Sumo Sushi Dauerlächeln" (sorry for the German titel but there's not yet any translation... ^^'). It's about 40 experiences of a Gaijin in Japan...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hydeaway
level 0
level 0
hydeaway

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 am

now i'm trying to read Stephen King. anyone read his?
iya! when i went to book store, i couldnt find any of the collection Mad
so, i bough 'The complete book of Knots'

question

yeah whatever
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 9:37 pm

I've read some of Stephen King's books. They're quite good.
But to some extent boring - at least to me Neutral It takes a while for the stories to progress... but maybe it was just with the books I've read - like Carrie.

And you should try and see for yourself if you like his writing. It has a kinda unique style ^^
So enjoy it!

anneliese
level 2
level 2
anneliese

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 11:24 pm

I have never tried to read Stephen King (I like his movies though XD), but maybe I'll do it in the future (argh, graduation)

Have you read something by Kathy Reichs? She's a forensic anthropologist, so she writes about murder cases that she solved in her career. She does not talk about her in the books though, she has created a fictional character, Temperance Brennan, who is extremely intelligent and professional, but lacks social abilities. Those books are really good, I've seen posters about them everywhere.
Also, a TV channel adapted her stories into a TV series, Bones, which is really great, in my opinion. Although the characters are changed, except for Brennan.

Jeryn, I am very sorry for replying so late to your question about the other book, "In the miso soup" baka I completely forgot to write a report about that.

Well, it marked me somehow. I thought it was a boring book, so I read it on the train XD I think that also contributed to the overall impression.

So, the story is about a Japanese guy, who works as a sex guide for tourists. He shows them the nightlife in Japan, with all the bars, the prostitutes, the cabarets etc. Each customer had to pay his salary, plus dinner and everything.
There is also mentioned his sex life. But that's not the main point of the story.
There are news everywhere about girls who have been killed with brutality and the murderer can't be found.
One day he's called by an American. He wants to find out more about the nightlife in Tokyo. The guide finds him very creepy, and the author describes him very well. He's writing style is somehow dark, with lots of details, but cold in a way. It really gave me a weird feeling. I still don't know what I feel regarding that book.

So the Japanese guy really doesn't like the American and has the feeling that's something's wrong with him, but he's in desperate need of money and accepts being his guide. He takes him to the peep show and other stuff, then they go to a bar and the American starts learning Japanese curses and sexual words. (you should have seen me, reading these to my friends in a train, with an old lady beside me XD)
The guy is more and more weird.
More news on new victims appear. The Japanese guy thinks the tourist has something to do with that and becomes more and more afraid to meet him again. He even finds something like a warning on his door (won't tell what, it's a spoiler).
So pretty much of the story shows the relationship between the American guy and the Japanese, the cultural differences, the growing fear, but almost without reason, of the Japanese guy, the awkward behaviour and lifestyle of the tourist... the psychological analysis is very complex and perfectly made. What I liked the most, was that even though he was disgusted and afraid of the tourist, he somehow felt pity for him and tried to protect him. Also, the American had a strong admiration for his guide.

There is a passage in the book where the writer describes the tourist's childhood and how he got to become what he was. It was perfectly depicted and really impressed me.

The ending is also very strange, like the whole book in fact. But it brings a new perspective of the story. The connection to the miso soup is also made almost at the end. It makes you think of it.

All in all, this book is a very good thriller, where all the terror happens on a psychological level, more than in the real world. Of course, something very important happens in the real world as well, but it their perception augments each event. I really liked this. But it also scared me and left me a weird sensation.

I wrote too much. But at least there are almost no spoilers XD

If you decide to read it, I'll be looking forward to your opinion. I haven't talked to anyone about this book yet. (my friends were really scared of it, after seeing my face when I finished the book)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeryn
level 4
level 4
jeryn

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 7:03 pm

@ Anneliese... don't worry about replying late. No problem at all. We've all been busy, ne~
So, from what you wrote about the Miso Soup book it sounds great, think I'll read it some time. After I finish my reading marathon for my final exams. Been reading loooots of books lately, but all about theory. Boring. (But interesting at the same time XD)

There are soom good books to read on the train. Try Paulo Coelho's Eleven Minutes. I read that and my cheeks were turning red quite often Laughing
(It's about a prostitute, so... sex)

btw, not helping my reading marathon... I've bought another Haruka Murakami book... Really love his writing style.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: reading random   reading random - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

reading random
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
team's forum :: RANDOM :: TALKS-
Jump to: